Home Learning (Year 5)
Resources for Home Learning
As a school, we have a variety of online learning platforms we subscribe to. These will prove invaluable to all pupils during this period of time away from education. In order to ensure all children can gain access to the platforms, all pupils have been sent home with their login details to these sites to ensure they can access them at home.
- Times Table Rock Stars – Children can do daily practice of times tables.
- SPAG.com – (This is registered for Year 6 only) Pupils will have SPAG questions set within SPAG.com and we can see how they perform to guide which tasks we then set next.
- BugClub - Children can access a variety of books (appropriate to their reading level) and complete multiple reading comprehensions.
There is also a wealth of additional resources available online that would also aid home learning. The details of these sites are listed below:
- Twinkl – This site has a variety of explanatory power points and then has a wide range of activities for pupils of all ages to complete. By entering the following code (UKTWINKLHELPS) at https://www.twinkl.co.uk/offer, parents can obtain free access to these resources during this current global situation. Further support can be found at https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resources/parents and https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resource/t-par-82-twinkl-parent-free-user-guide.
- Corbett Maths - https://corbettmathsprimary.com/ have worksheets on every area of maths with supporting ‘how to’ videos and answers. They also have a 5 a day section with mixed questions (bronze, silver, gold and platinum levels available).
- Literacy Shed – https://www.literacyshed.com/home.html Has a variety of films available that can be used as inspiration for writing.
- Scratch – Ask pupils to develop their coding skills within the free online computer programming software.
- KODU – Computer game programming. This software is free to download on computers but can also be accessed on Xbox. Children design and code their own computer games.
- Scholastic – Here is a link to their home learning resources. https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/teaching-tools/articles/resources/scholastic-learn-at-home--free-resources-for-school-closures.html
- Go Noodle – Exercise / dance videos to encourage some activity!
- National Geographic Kids - https://www.natgeokids.com/uk/?fbclid=IwAR2npzi5cD0dFp70LMvMOyGT-lmPTwSrSoIlMzYZwWT0BhlARt10f1rzZVQ
- Vooks.com – Online streaming service of books. It is a subscription service but you can have a 1 month free trial.
- BBC and Cbeebies - https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies?fbclid=IwAR2Yrd79xjImCm_pwu6UrrHn4fgU-ulvCAXBVnrV2wiCflMnLpBuwTptPts
- A long list of websites here - https://www.headteacherchat.com/post/corona-virus-free-resources-for-teachers-and-schools?fbclid=IwAR1oiWkrvhH6vMDLjKwuzxczVdcqDMMTT3eJKyKF5bf7nF6CGg0hoJ8_H6U
- Blockly - https://blockly.games Learn computer programming skills - fun and free.
- Ted Ed - https://ed.ted.com All sorts of engaging educational videos
- Duolingo - https://www.duolingo.com Learn languages for free. Web or app.
- Mystery Science - https://mysteryscience.com Free science lessons
- Crest Awards - https://www.crestawards.org Science awards you can complete from home
- Paw Print Badges - https://www.pawprintbadges.co.uk Free challenge packs and other downloads. Many activities can be completed indoors. Badges cost but are optional.
- Tinkercad - https://www.tinkercad.com All kinds of making.
- Prodigy Maths - https://www.prodigygame.com Is in U.S. grades, but good for UK Primary age.
- Cbeebies Radio - https://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/radio Listening activities for the younger ones.
- British Council - https://www.britishcouncil.org/school-resources/find Resources for English language learning
- Oxford Owl for Home - https://www.oxfordowl.co.uk/for-home/ Lots of free resources for Primary age
- Geography Games - https://world-geography-games.com/world.html Geography gaming!
- The Artful Parent - https://www.facebook.com/artfulparent/ Good, free art activities
- Red Ted Art - https://www.redtedart.com Easy arts and crafts for little ones
- The Imagination Tree - https://theimaginationtree.com Creative art and craft activities for the very youngest.
- DK Find Out -https://www.dkfindout.com/uk/?fbclid=IwAR2wJdpSJSeITf4do6aPhff8A3tAktnmpaxqZbkgudD49l71ep8-sjXmrac Activities and quizzes
- Outdoor learning - https://themuddypuddleteacher.co.uk/become-a-muddy-puddle-teacher/
- Guitar Lessons - http://www.rtguitars.co.uk/kids-zone/rock-riffs-for-kids-and-beginners/
If your child has a smart phone or tablet with the Kindle App on, or a Kindle itself, and would like some recommendations for reading material, the following website has 50 recommended reads for each year group – www.booksfortopics.com.
Fortunately, we now also have access (via YouTube) to our 'Busy Brain Break' 5 minute sessions online. These will be fantastic to get the children up and moving - they may also encourage you to join in to! - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVDIgXkSHq0s4PzUNr9ZhA